Upgrading from earlier versions¶
Release with the same major number (1.x) are intended to be drop-in replacements. However, in most cases the versions of dependency jars must be adjusted because newer versions of Velocity might require updates.
Upgrading from Velocity 1.7¶
VTL Syntax changes:
- the hypen (
-) cannot be used in variable names anymore
- method arguments can be arithmetic expressions
- commons-lang, commons-collections and commons-logging aren't needed any more at runtime.
- there's a new runtime dependency, slf4j-api 1.7.12
- you'll need an SLF4J binding
Upgrading from Velocity 1.6¶
There are no changes in the dependencies since Velocity 1.6
- Deprecated $velocityCount; please use $foreach.count or $foreach.index
- Deprecated $velocityHasNext; please use $foreach.hasNext, $foreach.first or $foreach.last
- Deprecated velocimacro.context.localscope setting; please get/set local #macro references as members of the provided $macro scope control instead. (e.g. #set( $macro.foo = 'bar' ) and $macro.foo )
- Deprecated directive.evaluate.context.class setting; please get/set local #evaluate references as members of the provided $evaluate scope control instead. (e.g. #set( $evaluate.foo = 'bar' ) and $evaluate.foo )
- Deprecated #literal directive; please use #[[this syntax]]# instead.
- Changed #stop to end template rendering rather than template parsing.
- Removed obsolete Veltag (use VelocityViewTag in VelocityTools project)
- Removed obsolete WebMacro conversion code.
Upgrading from Velocity 1.5¶
- Commons Collections has been upgraded to version 3.2.1.
- Commons Lang has been upgraded to version 2.4.
- Commons Logging is required for compiling and using CommonsLogLogChute.
Upgrading from Velocity 1.4 or earlier¶
- JDOM has been upgraded to version 1.0.
- Commons Collections has been upgraded to version 3.1.
- Commons Lang 2.1 has been added.